Saturday, August 23, 2008

Publishers Commentary: How are you spending your “Dash?”


I have shared in this column many, many times, just how much I love publishing this beautiful magazine.

My biggest challenge each month is worrying about how I am going to fill this column. Sometimes, I find a “common thread” that ties together all of the special parts of the magazine. Sometimes, that thread is not as easy to find. Every so often, someone sends me an email or a card that shares exactly what I need to share here.

I would like to thank Connie Parsons of Lasting Impressions for sending me the link to this lovely poem made into a motivational movie by the good folks at www.WalkTheTalk.com

If you enjoyed reading the poem below, I urge you to experience the little movie on the website. Here it is:

The Dash
By Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak, at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone…from the beginning to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth and spoke of the following date with tears; but, he said that what mattered most of all…was the dash between those years.
That dash represents all of the time that she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth.
It matters not how much we own, the cars…the house…the cash…
What matters is how we live and loved…and how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard, are there things you would like to change?
For, you never know how much time is left that could still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough to consider what is true and real,
And always try to understand how other people feel.
Be less quick to anger and show appreciation more,

And love the people in our lives…like we’ve never loved before.
We treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile…remembering that this special dash might only last a while.

So, when your eulogy is being read…with your life’s actions to rehash,
Would you be proud of things they say…about how you spent your dash?

I have really enjoyed getting to know this month’s cover honoree, Katherine Maher of Keller Williams Conroe/Lake Conroe. Many of you may know her as “The Lady of the Lake.”

In the short time that I have had the chance to get to know Katherine, I can tell you that she is spending her “dash” using her “blessings” to take care of her family, friends, clients, fellow agents, affiliates and even strangers from time to time.

You see, Katherine, like so many of our past cover honorees, has learned that the key to success in real estate and in life is to help make others lives just a little better.

Katherine is a lovely, sweet and generous person and absolutely deserves the cover honor this month. She personifies all of the criteria that we look for in a cover honoree. You will enjoy her story. It is time for me to let you do just that.

As always, good reading and good sales!
Success to you!

Steve Levine
Publisher

No comments: